Sunday, June 13, 2010

In Love with Venezia-Part 1

On our feet: One of Grandpa's favorite things to say is, "The best place in the world to get lost is Venice." Today we practiced that concept many times. The Traghetta's (bus-boats) were on strike today-I don't know why-so we were limited to our feet. I suppose that's what they're there for.
First we walked to San Marco square. One thing I love about Italy is the fruit stands. They are so colorful, and they just have them right there in the open!




















This tower is so cool because it's leaning! We saw another leaning tower in Venice, but this one is my favorite because it's made out of brick.





















We had gelato's this morning, and of course, they were delicious. We also went inside some amazing churches. Like the museums in Siena, no pictures or videos are allowed. The first church we went to has the most AMAZING ceiling. I know I say that sort of thing a lot, but seriously, this one puts me at a loss for words. Since I couldn't take a picture, Grandma found me a postcard. So here's a picture of the postcard that has a picture of the ceiling I speak so fondly of.

(Except not really. I can't find that picture. Blast it all.)


The picture of the postcard doesn't compare. The ceiling took 24 years to complete and it's done on canvas. I just wanted to lie down and look at it forever!
For lunch I had spaghetti with egg sauce and chunks of ham. It was actually pretty good. Like a breakfast pasta or something.



All right. It's time to talk about my ultimate favorite thing about Venezia, just ahead of the beautifully unique scenery. For about a month before Ash Wednesday every year, Venezia has Carnevale, like Mardi Gras. It's HUGE! Everybody wears the most amazing masks and outfits.







It's incredible. About every other shop I saw (maybe even more) and almost every souvenir stand sells masks. These masks run from 8 euro to several HUNDRED euro!! And they were so unique and incredibly intricate that I never got tired of looking at them. I'm sure Grandma and Grandpa got tired of me stopping at every window to just stare. I would love to be here when the Carnevale is going on.

Another specialty of Venice is their murano glass. They have the coolest designs and make the most beautiful statues and trinkets with it. My favorite one, which I didn't take a picture of, was a 4' 6'' tall tree with 6 or 7 tropical parrots perched on the branches.



We passed a carpenter's shop of sorts in our wanderings, and it had a life size wooden motorcycle! I got a picture of this one.

















Here's a gondola driver that we got to pose for a picture.

No comments:

Post a Comment