Sunday, June 13, 2010

Leaving Venezia Behind

A Morning Stroll: Me and Grandpa got up early this morning, (like, 5:20) and were out of the hotel by 6:00am. We were destined for a woodsy-park area on the bottom fish-tail part of Venice.
We got lost for the first hour, and ended up at the top of the fish-tail (about five minutes away from our hotel, but it took us an hour to get there :) right across from the cemetery island.
It was this experience that brought me to believe Grandpa's saying about getting lost in Venice. The sun was just coming up on this side of the island, and it reflected off of the water in a picture perfect way.











I was almost sad to continue on our adventure. NOTE: Grandpa thought that if we did a pattern of turn right, turn left, turn right, etc. that we would be heading in the correct direction of the park. The only problem is, the streets aren't strait here, so instead of going in a generally strait direction, we did a U-Turn.





Finally we made it to the bottom of the fish where we followed that edge to the park. On the way we saw a couple cruise ships...a couple HUGE cruise ships!!!! For someone who has only ever seen personal boats, gondola's, and traghetta's, this was JAW DROPPING! Those things are Giganormous!! You can see a rock climbing wall on the top of the ship in the picture to the right.

























The only plants in the actual city of Venice are potted plants on windowsills, and the occasional private garden. So the park we went to was kind of a shock after wandering through five story apartments for the past day and a half. It was almost like my Little Rain Forest!!! There was a pavilion where the ceiling was the branches of six different trees and a random tree bent in strange directions.




















This is Giuseppe Garibaldi. He helped Italy gain their freedom around 1860. He's Uncle Larry's hero.




















After the park we went back to the hotel to eat breakfast, pack our things, them head to the train station.
I was very, very sad to be leaving. I grew very fond of Venezia in the 48 hours we were there. I would like very muchly so to come here for my honeymoon in 5 or 6 years. :)

Random facts from Venice: Everything is expensive here. One dress: 918 Euro. About $1,000. We saw another that was almost $1,500!

Here's a random statue of an anchor. It made me happy.




















Grandpa got a picture of the Carabinieri , which is a field in the military, or something like that. For some reason, you're not supposed to take pictures of them, but Grandpa got one! Unfortunately, I don't have a copy of that picture.

(I had an awesome picture for this next part, but I can't find it so it doesn't make as much sense. But I'm going to keep in here because it's just a bit of me. :)

This is a nice fish display at a restaurant. If you listen really close you can hear the sea critters saying, "Eat me! I dare you! And then I'll squirm around in your tummy!" That's why I don't particularly enjoy eating sea critters.

No comments:

Post a Comment