Sunday, June 13, 2010

In Love with Venezia-Part 2

Ghetto's and Books!: There's a Jewish Ghetto in Venice that is pretty neat to see. They have these plaques on the walls that depict the Holocaust and the persecution of the Jews. That time in history has always intrigued and touched me, so I was glad we got to see this.

















This is the Venezia hospital. No joke. It used to be a church, once upon a time ago, which makes sense. That's what I thought it was anyway.



















I almost cried when we visited the bookshop. Look at all the books! It's so beautiful! There are hundreds of books stacked inside of bathtubs and old boats in case of a flood. This is the back door to the bookshop: (the gondola driver posed for me :)





















And here's one of the bookshop cats. They just lay on the books throughout the shop. It's kinda cute.






















We went back to the hotel at about 4:00 and took a muchly needed nap. Oh, that was so heavenly! We woke up at 6:30ish, just in time to search for dinner.
For dinner we went to Burger King because we couldn't find the McDonald's. (There's only one in Venice, and it wasn't where we thought it was.) Now, before you start grumbling about me eating McDonald's or Burger King while I'm in ITALY, let me explain something. Italy is not like America where you can find 7 different cultured restaurants on the same block. Every restaurant here is pizza, pasta, seafood, or a mixture of the three. We saw a chinese restaurant in Rome once, and then you have one, maybe two McDonald's in the big cities, but that's about it. Well, I'm sure there's more, but I didn't see any. I LOVE Italian food, but I need variety as well.
Anyhoo, dinner at BK, then we headed back to the hotel.


(For some reason I can't find some of my pictures, I think I had a lot on Grandma's camera and I don't have copies of all of them. The picture for this next scene must be one that I'm missing because...well, if it wasn't missing I would post it.)


We passed San Marco Square again which was sooooooo cool! When the tide comes in here, water bubbles up into the square via the drains. With the sun setting and the lights everywhere, the water reflections were breath taking! Lot's of people were eating here, and there were a couple restaurants with a band playing. And then some people started to dance in the ankle deep tide water! It was so beautiful.

I forgot!!! Special thanks to Emily for suggesting Pear Gelato which I had after lunch. Just like my Peach Gelato in Florence, it tasted like real fruit! And there were actual chunks of pear in it!!
Note: One of the big differences between Gelato's and Ice Cream: Gelato, real Gelato, is always fresh. A Gelateria produces fresh Gelato every day! So FREAKIN' GOOD!!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment